The Little House

The Little House

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Celebration of the Doll Exhibit - Skye

I was pleased to be invited to show a doll in the Celebration of the Doll exhibit at the Houston International Quilt Show this year.
I thought about it for several months and I decided to make a large Native American doll in full pow wow regalia. I considered the fancy scarf dance but decided I wanted to make a Jingle Dress. I enjoyed researching and making the doll and regalia.

Here is Skye:

Skye is named for our angel granddaughter, Teagan Skye Walker.
Her feather fan is made from molted feathers from my sweet departed parrot, Nick.
The medallion on her dress, leggings, purse and hair is inspired by this necklace my husband gave his mother 45 years ago. 


The dress took a long time to make. All 200 cones had to be ties onto the little ribbons then glued and sewn onto the wider ribbon then onto the dress. My husband tied most of the cones to the ribbon. I really appreciate his help.

Here is a picture of Skye as I am sewing on her hair before her dress is even made:


And here is a close-up shot of her:


No comments:

Post a Comment