The Little House

The Little House

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Evergreen State Fair 2013 - part 2


I did two demos at the fair this year. This involves setting up a display for 4 hours, demonstrating and answering questions. You receive three free tickets and on free parking pass for doing this.
I did a did a cloth doll demo on Monday, August 26 from 6 to 10 PM..
My demo table
I brought some of my dolls and equipment



And dolls that I was working on

This is my gypsy doll before stuffing.

On Tuesday, August 24th I did a demo in the basketry/spinning/weaving department. I decided to demo my paper baskets made from watercolor paper so I didn't have to bring water to soak reed.


Several years ago I tried to paint some flowers for a charity project. I failed miserably but still had them and since they are on watercolor paper which is perfect for weaving I decided to use them. I painted gold all over the paper and green on the back of the paper and let it dry.


 Next I ran it through an old paper shredder (not the crosscut kind) and got even strips to weave. If the paper isn't dry you don't get as clean of a cut, instead you get more of a deckle cut which is okay also.


Here is the beginning of a small basket and two older baskets in the background. You can weave any basket pattern that uses flat (1/4 inch or so) reed.



Above are the two baskets I made at the fair. The while one was plain watercolor paper that I'd painted with white and lavender pearled watercolor paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment