The Little House

The Little House

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Billy the Snowman - from felted sweater


Last fall there was a discussion on an online cloth doll group (focd) about making dolls out of felted wool sweaters. I decided to try this. So I went to Goodwill and found a child's sweater with a label that said lambswool and a large homemade bulky knit sweater that had no label but I was sure it was wool. I bought both sweaters, washed them in hot water and dried them in the dryer. Both sweaters felted nicely and the large sweater shrunk so much that it was the same size as the child's sweater.

Well life and the holidays got in the way so I put the sweaters away and just this week got out the sweaters. I cut out a snowman from the bulky knit sweater and because it was so thick I broke a needle on my serger and bent one on my sewing machine so I hand-sewed him. I kept the left-over pieces of felted wool to make little pincushions. I've cut a horse out of the gray sweater and am hand sewing it also because I liked hand sewing the snowman.
I really like the snowman and he will be a good Christmas decoration this year since he didn't make it last year. I made him from "Slushy the Snowman" pattern from FunkyFriendsFactory.com - my husband thinks he looks like a penguin because of the carrot nose...

No comments:

Post a Comment